Gayle for Windies tour
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados – Estranged West Indies batsman Chris Gayle has turned down a Twenty20 contract with Somerset to make himself available for the limited overs phase of West Indies tour of England next month.
In a statement issued through the West Indies Players Association late yesterday, the former West Indies captain said he had written to the English County to indicate his unavailability.
His move follows a teleconference meeting with West Indies Cricket Board officials and selectors, to discuss his future.
“So that there is no doubt, I confirmed to the selectors that I was available for West Indies duty in all forms of cricket, immediately following the conclusion of my contractual obligations to my IPL (Indian Premier League) franchise, Royal Challengers Bangalore,” Gayle said.
The IPL finishes May 28 while the limited overs series in England bowls off June 16-24, and includes three One-Day Internationals and one T20 International.
Gayle’s participation remained in doubt after the WICB accused him late last month of “reneging” on his commitment to forego the Somerset contract, after the player wrote the Board asking about a guarantees about his selection for the England tour before he turned down the English county deal. (CMC)