Posted on

Sir Hilary: Fee on the cards


John Sealy

Sir Hilary: Fee on the cards

Social Share

IF GOVERNMENT accepts the findings of a report, all tertiary students may have to pay a five per cent amenities fee towards the social development of their institutions.
“We believe that we should look at an amenities fee for all our tertiary institutions and fix it at about five per cent of the cost of the degree . . . that will allow the principals to receive some revenues to modernize the plant and to develop the facility for the students,”?said Professor Sir Hilary Beckles, principal of the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies.
At a Press briefing yesterday, Sir Hilary handed over the report – Tertiary?Education?Reform in?Barbados – to Minister of Education Ronald Jones at the ministry’s headquarters, Elsie Payne Complex, Constitution?Road,?St Michael.
Sir Hilary, chairman of the steering committee, said one of the recommendations called for the state to step back from the 100 per cent model of paying for education to 85 per cent. This would mean that other participants, such as the private sector and students, would have to share the other 15 per cent.

LAST NEWS