Palace contacts PCC on naked photos
St James’s Palace has confirmed it contacted the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) over the possible use of naked photos of Prince Harry.
The palace had heard a number of UK newspapers were considering using them, a spokesman said. Not one has done so.
It believed publication of the photos – taken in a Las Vegas hotel room – would constitute an invasion of privacy.
One ex-editor said the decision not to use the photos showed the Leveson Inquiry had “neutered” UK newspapers.
The inquiry, which is looking at press standards and the relationship between journalists and those in power, was launched last year in the wake of the phone-hacking scandal that led to the closure of the News of the World.
Prince Harry, 27, is believed to be back in the UK after pictures of him and a young woman naked in a Las Vegas hotel room appeared on US gossip website TMZ.
St James’s Palace has confirmed the prince is in the photos and that it contacted the PCC on Wednesday because it had concerns about his privacy being intruded upon, in breach of the editors’ code of practice.
The photos are believed to have been taken on a camera phone last Friday when the prince was on a private weekend break with friends. (BBC)