Posted on

Sonnets stunned

Ezra Stuart

Sonnets stunned

Social Share

A four-goal first half blitz by OKG Rendezvous left Families First St John Sonnets in a daze as they became the second Premier League football side to be eliminated from the KFC Champions Cup in the first round.
Playing the feature match of a triple header at the Wildey AstroTurf on Sunday night before an appreciative crowd, Rendezvous outclassed St John Sonnets 4-0 to book a second round clash with Shawn Hope United.
In the evening’s opener, Kick Start ousted arch-rivals Carlton 2-1 and Mackeson Brittons Hill beat the University of the West Indies (UWI)?2-0 through two early goals by Walton Burrowes and Arantees Lawrence.    
Even though Sonnets were forced to replace first choice goalkeeper Bernard Howell, who complained of chest pains, with the gloveless Tyson Mullins, Rendezvous didn’t add any further goals in the second half.
But the damage was already done as Shandel Samuel converted a penalty in the 23rd minute and neatly finished a cross from his cousin Myron Samuel in the first minute of injury time before the break.
Myron Samuel also got his name on the score sheet when he controlled a pass from Gregory “Lalu” Goodridge and easily beat Howell to his right.
In between, the skillful Romano Snagg weaved through the Sonnets’ defence and flicked the ball away from Howell into the far corner for the second goal in the 35th minute.
Sonnets, to their credit, gave an improved display in the second half. Dreadlocked defensive duo of Alex “Gansie” Belgrave and Dwayne Bailey were a lot tighter at the back, while the diminutive Zico Mascoll, Damien Husbands, Jason King and oldstager Jefferson “Butler” White, led their attack. They even came close to scoring on a couple of occasions, only to be denied by Rendezvous’ custodian Kerry Holder.
On the other hand, Rendezvous’ striking power fizzled out, especially after Shandel Samuel was injured as they indulged in showboating and excessive dribbling, while Myron Samuel wasn’t clinical with his chances.
Their showing was exemplified in the last kick of the game when substitute Emerald George set up his Vincentian countryman Damal Francis for the simplest of chances and he hit straight to Mullins.
Earlier, in the first game, an alert Aquil Cumberbatch lobbed the ball over Carlton’s replacement goalkeeper Joshua Plaza for a 55th minute winner for Kick Start.
Kirk Start had taken a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute when captain Keiron Cox headed past goalkeeper Ron Bowen but Carlton equalized through Renaldo Waithe’s 34th minute strike.
Brittons Hill then seized control of their match against UWI with early goals by Walton Burrowes (8th minute) and Arantees Lawrence (12th minute) before central defensive pair, Shane Weekes and Kyle Smith could settle down.
Lawrence set up the first goal when he played the ball across the UWI goalmouth for the advancing Burrowes to slide it past goalkeeper Tazieo Riley.
Then, Lawrence made a mockery of UWI’s wall, curling the resulting free kick, after Riley had fouled Burrowes on the edge of the penalty box into the nets at the near post.
Afterwards, Burrowes and Hendy Richards missed several opportunities for Brittons Hill, while Riley also came up with some timely saves in an improved UWI showing. The students also had their moments in the last 20 minutes, creating some chances but were unable to finish.