Cox down but not out
BOXER SHAWN TERRY COX wants to set the record straight.
After his defeat to South African Danie Venter in their World Boxing Federation’s cruiserweight fight in Pretoria on Saturday night, some reports suggested that Cox was knocked out in the first round.
But the 38-year-old has insisted that a sprained right ankle was the reason behind his defeat by a technical knockout.
“I went to throw a punch, but because our fight was the last of the night, the canvas was a bit slippery and wet due to the blood that was on the ground,” Cox told NATION SPORT in an interview on Tuesday.
“I slipped and fell to the ground, and when Venter realized, he took the opportunity to rush me and he connected with a punch.
“When I went to get up, I realized that my ankle was sprained, and obviously realizing that I was hurt, Venter came at me again and that is when the referee stopped the fight,” he added.
It was the second time that the South African had defeated Cox, after having won on points at the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
Despite his loss, Cox, who returned to the island on Monday, remains in high spirits.
He revealed that he had been given two weeks off to recuperate, after which he would resume training.
The former Olympian also said he had been invited for a re-match which is scheduled to be held in November or December.
“The people from South Africa were very disappointed that they didn’t get to see me fight. They told me that they had watched some of my videos on YouTube, and they were very impressed by what they had seen,” Cox said.
“Even though I lost in the first round, they know that I am a quality boxer, and that is why they invited me back to fight Venter again.”
“Once my ankle heals, I will be training extremely hard,” he promised.
“This next fight will show people that I am a true warrior and that I still have a lot of boxing left in me.”