Posted on

City lads move closer to repeat

terrybogles, [email protected]

City lads move closer to repeat

Social Share

DEFENDING?CHAMPIONS The City of Bridgetown have moved one step closer to reclaiming their David Thompson Memorial Constituency Football Classic crown.
Playing at Friendship playing field on Tuesday night, The City edged St Philip North 2-1.
In the other match, St Michael West Central got the better of home team St Michael North East, defeating them 1-0.
The City were forced to show their class, as they went behind in the ninth minute, when national Under-17 midfielder T’Shane Lorde gave St Philip North the lead, chipping goalkeeper Andre Small.
The goal sparked a fuse in The City team, which resulted in the equalizer.
Custodian Codie Skeete blocked a header from Carl Joseph, who was on hand to slam the rebound into the roof of the net to level the score 1-1 in the 37th minute.
St Philip were on the back foot for most of the second half, as The City, through captain Jeffrey Williams, Joseph and Rohan Hewitt threatened with their skill and pace but the St Philip North defence stood firm while being twice assisted by the woodwork.
The City’s pressure finally paid off when they were awarded a penalty by referee Desmond Edwards. Williams stepped up and confidently shot past the outstretched Skeete to give his team the lead in the 85th minute.
St Philip made a last ditch effort to take the game into extra time but outstanding goalkeeping by Small ensured The City a place in the quarter-finals.
The feature match started out quite adventurously and at a quick tempo as both of them tried to grab that important opening goal.
St Michael West Central’s captain Henderson Richards was a constant threat for the St Michael North East defence, along with strike partners Christopher Atherley and Reviere Williams.
St Michael North East’s main attacking weapon was the direct ball to fleet-footed forward Anthony Forde, which caused some issues for their opponents but St Michael North East never capitalized on the opportunities when they presented themselves.
St Michael West Central got the lone goal in the 20th minute. An inswinging cross from the right was met by Atherley’s powerful diving header from about eight yards, giving custodian Dwayne Webb no chance.
The second half was a let-down, and the only action to mention was the expulsion of substitute Ryan Grant in the 75th minute for violent conduct. (ROG)