House fires a concern
Chief Fire Officer Wilfred Marshall has expressed concern about the number of structural fires so far this year.
As a result, he has urged Barbadians to be vigilant.
Marshall made the comments yesterday after the Barbados Fire Service responded to three fires within a 12-hour period.
He said people needed to continue to be careful to avoid these types of fires.
“People need to exercise greater care when leaving homes, also to ensure they do not leave cooking utensils unattended and they must pay attention to electrical gadgets.”
So far this year, there have been at least six structural fires.
Three hours into the New Year, Charlene King, of Parish Land, Christ Church, lost her home to a fire.
Last Saturday, an unoccupied house at 4th Avenue, Long Gap, Spooner’s Hill, St Michael, was destroyed.
On Monday, a building owned by Trevor Reece in Lower Free Hill, Black Rock, also in St Michael, which was once used as a laundry, was extensively damaged.
The popular Frankie’s Bar and Canteen, owned by Frank Barrow across from Grantley Adams International Airport, was gutted on Tuesday night; while Dorothy McClean, of House View, The Pine, and Nadira and Robin Narine, of Chapman Street, The City, lost their homes to fires yesterday. (LK)