Holder signs for Otago Volts
Barbados and West Indies fast bowler Jason Holder has signed with SBS Bank Otago Volts for the final of the HRV Cup which will be contested on Saturday in New Zealand.
The Otago Cricket Association (OCA) recruited Holder because of the unavailability of New Zealand players Nathan McCullum, Jimmy Neesham and Jesse Ryder because of international commitments. Ian Butler is also still recovering from injury, prompting Otago’s need for reinforcements.
OCA chief executive, Ross Dykes said he was pleased with the acquisition, and felt Holder’s experience would be useful.
“Jason was keen to be involved. He has IPL [Indian Premier League] experience and is obviously bowling-fit as a result of the current series [New Zealand v West Indies].”
The 22-year-old Holder is already in New Zealand and made his T20 International for the West Indies in the final match of the two-game series, which the Black Caps won to take complete a 2-0 sweep of the West Indies.
Otago Volts’ coach Vaughn Johnson noted that Holder will bolster their squad and give them another option, not only for the final but in the future. “While we are most certainly not getting ahead of ourselves we do have to be prepared for all possible outcomes. “If we are successful in defending our title then Jason will be a strong addition to our squad in terms of being another option for what might follow,” Johnson said.
Holder was part of the Chennai Super Kings squad for both the IPL and Champions League T20 last year. He has taken 31 wickets in 36 T20 matches, at an average of 28.35, with an economy rate of 7.43. (EZS)