Posted on

Mill Yard, Lebanon in final


Mill Yard, Lebanon in final

Social Share

LEBANON?WILL?take on long-time rivals Mill Yard in the finals of the Brittons Hill Community Tournament, slated for next Sunday.
Playing at Valery last Sunday evening, both teams needed a penalty shoot-out to get over their opponents. Mill Yard were locked 4-4 with Cambodia at the end of regular and extra time but emerged 4-1 winners in the penalty shoot-out.
The second semi-final was a physical affair and very close, ending 3-3 in regulation and extra time but Lebanon showed their mental toughness to outscore Dirt Yard 4-2 in the shoot-out.
Knockout winners Mill Yard were taken to the wire by a Cambodia team that featured Premiership stars Dwayne Stanford and Elsid Miggins, along with national youth player T’Shane Lorde.  However, it was former youth player Darnell Murray who took the fight to Mill Yard, converting a beaver-trick, scoring in the 31st, 70th, 76th and 91st minutes.
Mill Yard showed tremendous fight and, like true champions, stood up to the test.
With Kent Hall pulling the strings in the midfield alongside Andre Gill, there were numerous opportunities for forwards Walton “Chico” Burrowes and Rommell Bynoe. Therefore, it was no surprise when they both got on the scoresheet, Burrowes with a brace in the 23rd and 82nd minutes and Bynoe in the 51st.
There was some fortune for Mill Yard as a defender turned the ball into his own net in the 40th minute.
Mill Yard’s emerging hero on the night was young goalkeeper Kevin Barton, who made two saves in the penalty shoot-out.
The feature match showcased a cluster of stars. For Dirt Yard, Paul “Soup” Lovell, Curtis Odle and Carl Joseph took to the pitch while Gregory “Lalu” Goodridge, Rondelle Vaughn and Kerry Holder donned the strip of Lebanon.
Ricardo Gay gave Dirt Yard an early lead, converting from close range in the fourth minute. However, after a series of opportunities, Kishmar Wade levelled for Lebanon in the 33rd minute.
Vaughn then gave Lebanon the lead but the skilful Akeem Hill brought Dirt Yard back into contention with a fine strike in the 75th minute.
A Curtis Odle shot in the 90th minute ricocheted off a defender and into the goal to give Dirt Yard the lead for the second time but the see-saw battle continued when Stephan Batson scored just five minutes later.