Sparky to rescue
A small dog may have saved the Sand Box Avenue, Bayland community from a major blaze yesterday morning.
When a fire broke out at a neighbouring house, Sparky, a Chihuahua owned by Miriam Kennedy and her grandson Jason Ward, woke them up immediately, allowing them to alert the Barbados Fire Service.
Ward said he was asleep when Sparky came into his room and nipped him, then tugged at his pants to get him out of bed.
“When I jumped up he was looking in the direction of the house, and I thought it was a car’s headlights . . . [but] they were too bright to be car lights, so when I rushed to the side door and opened the louvres I realised the house next door was on fire,” he said.