Posted on

STUMPED​


Barry Alleyne

STUMPED​

Social Share
Share

?Cricket legends in Barbados are running scared.
?They want confirmation of a change in how things are done at Kensington Oval so that happened to Desmond Haynes last week doesn’t happen to them.
Most of the legends were tight-lipped when approached to give their take on Haynes’ inability to secure smooth access into Kensington during the first T20 against England on March 9, but according to Haynes, many of them have grave concerns.
“I’ve spoken to many of them since the incident occurred, and they are scared about there being a repeat. They really don’t want to be embarrassed,” Haynes told the WEEKEND NATION.
?‘What we really need now is clarity from the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) on what will pertain when any cricket event is being held at Kensington Oval.”
Haynes, who played 116 Tests for the West Indies, and numerous first-class matches for Barbados, noted that prior to the recent Twenty20 series against England, all members of Cricket Legends of Barbados Incorporated (CLOBI) had been issued special passes to ensure unhindered access in and around Kensington Oval.
?“But now we are being told those passes are no longer valid. Other legends told me they also had problems accessing Kensington Oval last week and they are really scared to go to cricket,” Haynes said.
Those passes were issued because CLOBI has a luxury box at the Oval which is frequented by members during matches.
Haynes, who is now chairman of CLOBI, said it was important now that the BCA clearly stated what would be required of cricket legends when events are held at the historic Mecca of cricket in the Caribbean.
“This really isn’t about just me. We are talking about a number of persons who gave their all to cricket in Barbados and the Caribbean. This is about the contribution they all made to their country on and off the field,” Haynes said.
His comments came on the heels of the BCA offering a personal and public apology for what he went through on March 9.
In addition to the apology, a full investigation of exactly what went wrong has been authorised by the BCA, and on completion a report will be presented to the West Indies Cricket Board.
Ben Toppin, the chief executive officer of Kensington Oval Management Incorporated (KOMI), the Government body which operates the Oval, said specific systems and protocol had been put in place to ensure unhindered access for dignitaries attending cricket, but that those systems failed on March 9.
?
 

LAST NEWS