Posted on

T&T in a hole against Windwards

Kern Defreitas

T&T in a hole against Windwards

Social Share

Trinidad and Tobago?were facing an uphill task at the end of yesterday’s second day’s play against Windward Islands at Queen’s Park Oval in their West Indies Cricket Board Regional Four-Day Tournament semi-final.
Denesh Ramdin, the Trinidad and Tobago wicket-keeper and captain, took the bold step to declare with the hosts 140 for eight, a deficit of first innings 108 runs, with his team in danger of surrendering the match after a pitiful batting display. And the Windwards added 88 more runs for a lead of 196, with eight wickets still in hand.
Eight devastating overs from right arm fast medium bowler Mervin Mathew went for just 19 runs and four wickets, but more importantly, ripped out the heart of Trinidad and Tobago’s middle order with eight devastating overs, capturing four wickets for 19 runs. With a little diligent application today, the Windwards, who were beaten by Trinidad and Tobago earlier in the season at the same venue, can bat the home side out of the match.
At the close Devon Smith was comfortably unbeaten on 44, with Sunil Ambris (13 not out) the other batsman.
Smith was content to wait for the bad balls and dispatch them, including an attractive straight drive off Shannon Gabriel, but lost Tyrone Theophille and Johnson Charles (both 11) late on. Still, Trinidad and Tobago will have to bowl very well in the opening session this morning to give themselves a chance of getting back into the match.
Trinidad and Tobago’s attempt to clamber back into the contest and their gamble to end their innings prematurely were the products of poor batting, not helped by several rain interruptions and overcast conditions that Mathew exploited.
Having already lost Lendl Simmons (19), Darren Bravo (duck) and nightwatchman Marlon Richards (two) late on the first day, Trinidad and Tobago resumed from 36 for three overnight.
To the dismay of home fans, that hole got deeper. Left-handed opener Evin Lewis was the only batsman that showed the spirit to survive the tough patches, and he remained unbeaten on 47. He faced 126 balls, and hit five fours and a six.
Jason Mohammed was first to go yesterday, given out lbw to left-armer Kenroy Peters for 19.
Ramdin joined Lewis and reached 25 before he became the first of four scalps to fall to Mathew’s nagging line on or around off stump, all caught behind by Johnson Charles.
He was followed by Akeal Hosein for a first-ball duck but Rayad Emrit held up the Windwards for a bit with a counter-attacking cameo, his 21 taking 20 balls, with four fours.
Again, he hung his bat outside offstump and offered Mathew a wicket. In and out after facing five balls was Imran Khan, another Mathew victim, and soon after, Ramdin declared and Trinidad and Tobago were back in the field.