Reports not true
PORT OF SPAIN – Law enforcement officials today denied media reports that four men were assisting police in their investigations into the murder of prominent senior counsel, Dana Seetahal, who was gunned down earlier this month as she made her way from a casino.
Media reports Sunday had said the men were detained in police raids in Arima, east of here and Petite Valley, west of the capital.
But Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams said the media because of their reporting were only causing more “trauma” to an already traumatised public. “Right now my head is busy with thoughts on the media for the misinformation which has been sent out into the public domain. The information I heard and read yesterday is false, and all it is doing is inflaming the public. The country is already going through a traumatic moment with the death of a prominent member of society, and with the misinformation which was circulated, this trauma is only worsening,” Williams said.
National Security Minister Gary Griffith also dismissed the media reports saying “contrary to any reports, as of this time, no one has been held, detained, arrested, and certainly not charged in relation to the investigation into the death of the senior counsel.
“I have been in communication with the investigators on a daily basis, and I can assure you with full confidence and accuracy, that at no time has anyone been held by the police. What I can tell you is that the investigation is still ongoing and at this point it has reached a crucial, but sensitive stage,” said Griffith.
The State has offered a reward of TT$2.5 million (One TT dollar = US$0.16 cents) for information leading to an arrest and conviction, while Crime Stoppers International is offering one million dollars for information regarding the murder of the 59-year-old senior attorney, whose body was cremated following a funeral service last Thursday. (CMC)