Posted on

WI pull out of tour


nationnews

WI pull out of tour

Social Share
Share

THE WEST INDIES tour to India has been called off and today’s One Day International between the two sides will be the last game of the series.

A fifth ODI, a Twenty20 international and three Tests were on the schedule.

Reports from ESPNcricinfo and Indian news outlets this morning said the West Indies Cricket Board took the decision to withdraw the team amid an ongoing payment dispute between players and the West Indies Players’ Association.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India said it was shocked at the decision.

“The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has informed the BCCI of its decision to cancel the rest of its ongoing tour to India because of a dispute with its players, and has advised the BCCI that its players will return home immediately.

“The BCCI is shocked and extremely disappointed at the decision taken by the WICB. The WICB’s inability to resolve internal issues with its players and allowing the same to affect an ongoing bilateral series does not reflect well on any of those involved. The withdrawal gives little thought to the future of the game, the players and the long standing relations between the BCCI and the WICB,” the BCCI said in a release.

A senior BCCI official said the West Indies team management had informed the board of their decision earlier on Friday. India will now instead play five ODIs against Sri Lanka in November.

The BCCI’s release said, “The WICB’s inability to resolve internal issues with its players and allowing the same to affect an ongoing bilateral series does not reflect well on any of those involved.” The withdrawal had, “given little thought to the future of the game, the players and the long standing relations between the BCCI and WICB.” (ESPNcricinfo/NB)

 

LAST NEWS