West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president, Dave Cameron, reacted angrily yesterday to a decision by regional players to withdraw their services in the middle of a tour to India.
Using the Facebook social media platform, Cameron did not mince his words in condemning the actions of the players who had been embroiled in a dispute with the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) over the signing of a new Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
“This feels like an act of terrorism. You destroy a region’s heritage over an internal dispute. You don’t threaten the offender as yet. Unbelievable,” Cameron said.
With the players choosing to make themselves unavailable, the WICB said it was left with no option but to discontinue the tour of India with three Tests, one One-Day International and one Twenty20 International still to be played.
It was the first time that any West Indies team aborted a series in the middle of a tour and the WICB will hold an emergency board meeting here on Tuesday to conduct a thorough assessment of all the ramifications and any action which may be necessary. (HG)
Please read the full story in today’s SUNDAY SUN, or in the eNATION edition.