Ouija hits No. 1 at box office
NEW YORK (AP) – The spirits moved Ouija to No. 1 at the box office, with the board-game adaption leading the weekend with a US $20 million debut, according to studio estimates today.
The horror movie release, timed to Halloween, attracted more moviegoers at the North America box office than the violent Keanu Reeves thriller John Wick. The R-rated hit-man revenge tale from Lionsgate opened with $14.2 million in second place.
Last week’s top film, the Brad Pitt World War II action film Fury dropped to third with $13 million. In two weeks, the Sony Pictures release has made $46.1 million.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theatres, according to Rentrak. Where available, the latest international numbers are also included.
1. Ouija, $20 million ($1.3 million international).
2. John Wick, $14.2 million.
3. Fury, $13 million ($11.2 million international).
4. Gone Girl, $11.1 million ($18.4 million international).
5. The Book of Life, $9.8 million ($7.8 million international).
6. St Vincent, $8.1 million.
7. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, $7 million ($2.5 million international).
8. The Best of Me, $4.7 million.
9. The Judge, $4.3 million ($6.9 million international).
10. Dracula Untold, $4.3 million ($14.7 million international).