Posted on

Life goes on for ebola-free nurse


Life goes on for ebola-free nurse

Social Share

FORT KENT, Maine (AP) – In between going on a bike ride and taking delivery of a pizza, nurse Kaci Hickox and her boyfriend did chores and watched a movie while state officials struggled to reach a compromise in a standoff that has become the nation’s most closely-watched clash between personal freedom and fear of Ebola.

The nurse who treated Ebola patients in Sierra Leone and her boyfriend, Ted Wilbur, purposefully rode their bikes away from town on a dirt path to avoid coming into contact with people.

“We’re not trying to push any limits here. We’re members of this community, too, and we want to make people comfortable,” he told reporters Thursday evening.

Hickox, who returned to the United States last week, has been under what Maine is calling a voluntary quarantine at her home in this town of 4 300 people.

She has rebelled against the restrictions, saying that her rights are being violated and that she is no threat to others because she has no symptoms. She tested negative last weekend for Ebola, though it can take days for the virus to reach detectable levels.

State officials said that they were seeking a court order to require a quarantine through November 10, the end of the 21-day incubation period for the Ebola virus.

But it was unclear Thursday whether the state had gone to court or whether there had been any progress in negotiations aimed at a compromise.

Governor Paul LePage said state attorneys and Hickox’s lawyers had discussed a scaled-down quarantine that would have allowed her to go for walks, runs and bicycle rides while preventing her from venturing into populated public places or coming within three feet of others.

Hickox stepped into the media glare when she returned from West Africa to become subject to a mandatory quarantine in New Jersey. After an uproar, she was released and travelled more than 600 miles (965 kilometres) to the small town on the Canadian border where she lives with her boyfriend.

At their home, reporters have been camped out for two days.

Wilbur said he and Hickox spent the day Thursday vacuuming, cleaning, doing laundry and watching a movie, The Avengers. He said he also spent four hours attending class via phone. He has agreed to stay away from the University of Maine at Fort Kent for the time being.