Posted on

Trinidad east coast hit by flooding


Trinidad Express

Trinidad east coast hit by flooding

Social Share
Share

MANZANILLA-MAYARO ROAD, which runs along Trinidad’s east coast, has been closed until further notice.

This was revealed yesterday in a news release from the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure.

It was explained that the closure was due to the structural breaches that occurred as a result of the inclement weather over the past five days.

“In light of the above, motorists are advised to use Rio Claro and the Cunapo Southern Main Road as alternative routes. An assessment of the damage with a view to repair will be conducted in the morning. The Ministry strongly cautions against citizens journeying to the area to take photographs or obtain a first-hand view of the incident,” the release read.

Another release from the Ministry of National Security said relief shelters had been set up and citizens who were being evacuated from their homes were receiving support and medical attention where necessary

In a “Riverine Flood Alert” from the Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service, issued at 6 p.m. yesterday, the Service continued its alert for Trinidad, having regard to recent rainfall activity and the continuing risk posed from the resulting floods.

“As opposed to street and flash flooding, riverine flooding is more prolonged and widespread. Even though there was rainfall today, reports indicate that flood waters have subsided in some areas.

 “Citizens in general and those residing in Mayaro and Manzanilla, in particular, are asked to be vigilant in their activities. All necessary measures must be taken to preserve life and property. We strongly underscore that Trinidad and Tobago is not under any tropical storm watch or warning at this time,” the release added.

Speaking to the Express yesterday, chairman of the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation Terry Rondon said while his heart goes out to the suffering citizens in Mayaro and Manzanilla, he was grateful that the floodwaters which besieged communities in Sangre Grande on Thursday night had finally begun to recede.

“Thankfully, after the worst flooding we have seen in about 45 years, the waters in affected areas began receding and, in most cases, were gone. Today, in our area we did some cleaning up again. The schools will be opened tomorrow, thank God. I believe they are North Oropouche Government and Vega de Oropouche RC School. They were both cleaned and washed down following the floods,” said Rondon.

“And while the Manzanilla/Mayaro region may be out of my jurisdiction, we still did try to help. The Sangre Grande police asked for transportation and we were able to provide them with a truck, it was ultimately inadequate because of the amount of people they needed to get across there, but it did suffice.” (Trinidad Express)

LAST NEWS