Posted on

Dispute settled before CFU final


CMC

Dispute settled before CFU final

Social Share
Share

MONTEGO BAY – A threat by Trinidad and Tobago’s football team to boycott last night’s Caribbean Football Union (CFU) finals mere hours before the match was called off after outstanding salaries and arrears amounting to millions were paid to players and members of the technical team.

Team manager William Wallace and captain Kenwyne Jones confirmed that payment was made as the Soca Warriors prepared to play Caribbean powerhouses Jamaica.

The Warriors had taken a decision to boycott the match over the non-payment of the outstanding amount by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

“The game is on and we are paying the players as promised,” Wallace said last night.

“It took some work to get it done but we are getting it done and I spoke to Kenwyne [Jones] and [Stephen] Hart and told them we had gotten through yesterday evening.”

Wallace reported that the money was approved by the Ministry of Sport on Monday and passed on to the players in Jamaica.

“The [payment] process started yesterday [Monday] and will be completed today [yesterday],” said permanent secretary Richard Oliver, who joined the Sport Ministry last week.

“This is a request for an emergency payment as this money was not initially budgeted. Altogether we are looking at approximately US$3 million; and this covers match fees, bonuses, staff stipends and coach’s fees.”

The winners of last night’s final, apart from being crowned Caribbean champions, earn automatic qualification to the 2016 Copa America Centenario, which celebrates the 100th anniversary of the South American championship.

Both Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago have already qualified for next year’s CONCACAF Gold Cup. (CMC)

LAST NEWS