Sarwan pulls out of league
PORT OF SPAIN – Ramnaresh Sarwan has been ruled out of the WICB Professional Cricket League, after withdrawing from the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force squad.
The Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board confirmed that the former West Indies right-hander had pulled out of the squad for “personal reasons” and would return to his native Guyana.
Sarwan, a veteran Test player, was picked up in the PCL draft as the only non-Trinidadian to represent Red Force. However, he was not included in the first game against Barbados Pride last weekend which finished in a draw.
“The national cricket organisation thanked Sarwan for his desire to represent the Red Force and wishes him well in the future,” the TTCB said.
“The TTCB said it is their sincerest hope that the former West Indies Test player can resolve the issues he currently faces with a view to his possible return for T&T in the NAGICO Super50 limited-overs regional tournament in January.”
Red Force are taking on Leeward Islands at Warner Park in the second series which started Friday, a game media reports say Sarwan would have missed anyway due to injury.
The 34-year-old’s career has slipped into the doldrums in recent years. He has not played a Test in three years and his recall to the one-day side last year was met with relative failure.
He scored a century against Zimbabwe but made 12 runs in three innings against Australia and two runs in as many outings in the ICC Champions Trophy.
Sarwan averages 40 from 87 Tests and 38 in first-class matches. (CMC)