Posted on

Trini women gutted


Trini women gutted

Social Share

PORT-OF-SPAIN – Captain of Trinidad and Tobago’s senior Women’s football team Maylee Attin-Johnson has lamented her side’s failure to qualify for next year’s FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.

The Trinidad and Tobago footballers lost to Ecuador 1-0, in the second leg of their playoff at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Tuesday night.

A number of players have been visibly affected by the loss, including Ahkeela Mollon, who was unable to breathe and was rushed away by ambulance, while goalkeeper Kimika Forbes sobbed uncontrollably after conceding the goal which denied her team’s dream of creating history.

“We still did not accomplish what we set out to accomplish. We are very much disappointed in ourselves,” said Attin-Johnson.

“Goals win matches. We were not able to put away ours. They (Ecuador) got one chance and put away their own. So, it was a bit unfortunate.”

Both teams battled to a goalless tie at full-time before Monica Quinteros converted in the first minute of extra time to ensure the South Americans advanced.

Before that T&T attacked consistently and dominated for long periods without finding the back of the net.

“For some reason the ball wasn’t going into the back of that net,” the captain lamented.

“We got a lot of chances, we didn’t put it away. They got one and scored”.

Attin-Johnson says many of her teammates were gutted after the defeat including 23-year-old goalkeeper Forbes who came off her line but was unable to stop Quinteros from converting.

“Kimika is a very passionate player. So, it very hard to calm her down at this monent,” Attin-Johnson said.

“Kimika and they have sacrificed a lot. They have been through the good, the bad, and the indifferent.”

The defeat against Ecuador  was T&T’s third missed chance at qualification after losing in the semi-finals of the CONCACAF Women’s Championship last October and then in the third place playoff.

The top three teams qualified. (CMC)