Tips for a fire-free holiday
THE BARBADOS FIRE SERVICE is advising people to be extra vigilant this holiday season.
While lights can brighten the home, they also increase the risk of fire. The Fire Service suggests the following tips for a safe holiday season.
• Always turn off tree lights before going out or to bed.
• Always erect your Christmas tree away from heat sources.
• Never use combustible decorations on your tree.
• Never place lights with damaged electrical cords on your tree.
• Never use staples or nails to hang up light sets. This can damage cords (shock hazard).
• Never overload electrical circuits by hanging too many lights.
• Never hang lights outdoors that are not specified for external use.
• Always inspect your decorative lights for defects before hanging them up.
• Always unplug decorative lights when leaving home.
• Always secure plugs from water when using outdoors.
• Always test your smoke alarms, keep them in good working order.
• Do not leave stoves unattended when cooking for any reason.
In addition, the Fire Service is reminding residents not to leave infants at home unattended and ensure that elderly relatives are looked after and not exposed to fire risk during the holidays. (PR/SAT)