Fire contained to run-down City building
PANIC GRIPPED The City district of Chapman Street yesterday after an abandoned house started burning in the densely populated area.
Two neighbours rushed in and pulled three wheelchair users living next door to the building to safety as a precaution in case the fire spread. Another wheelchair user along the street was also evacuated by the rescuers.
Firefighters managed to contain the blaze to the rundown building that was the focus of a February 20 edition of the Weekend NATION newspaper article with residents complaining about it being a health and fire hazard.
“I had a feeling this was coming . . . . I just thankful that it happened in the day and not the night. I was waiting for this to happen,” said 92-year-old wheelchair user Stella Barnett who was moments earlier snatched from her smoke-filled home by the Bhanas. (FP)
Please read the full story in today’s Daily Nation, or in the eNATION edition.