Furious a sure box office hit
IN THEIR 14-YEAR HISTORY, the Fast & Furious films have become a case study in the power of international box office.
In recent years, the unlikely franchise has made global appeal a priority and as a result, grosses have continued to grow. Furious 7, out worldwide on Friday, could be the biggest instalment yet.
Here’s a list of the Furious films, followed by the domestic box office gross and the gross from the rest of the world, outside of North America, according to Rentrak:
* The Fast and the Furious (2001) $144.5 million; $62.9 million.
* 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) $127.1 million; $109.1 million.
* Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) $62.6 million; $95.9 million.
* Fast & Furious (2009) $155.2 million; $208.6 million.
* Fast Five (2011) $210 million; $420 million.
* Fast & Furious 6 (2013) $238.7 million; $551 million. (AP)