Private sector urged to assist with camps
MINISTER OF CULTURE, Sports and Youth Stephen Lashley today urged the private sector to take up “some of the slack” created by Government’s decision to sharply reduce spending on summer camps for youths.
He said during a media briefing that given the financial problems facing Government the funding of summer camps had to be a shared responsibility between the state and local businesses as well as individuals.
Government used to budget more than $3 million annually for summer camps attracting children from age four to teenagers but last year committed spending dropped below $1 million. The number of camps has fallen from 65 to 45.
This year the camps will run from July 13 to August 14 and Lashley said while campers would have fun the programme was also about building character and moulding responsible and productive citizens. (TY)