PM defends decision
ROSEAU – The Dominica government has defended its decision not to impose a state of emergency in the country after Tropical Storm Erika killed more than 25 people and left millions of dollars in damage last week.
Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit told a radio and television audience on Monday night that 11 more bodies had been discovered and that 23 people, including two French nationals, were still missing and feared dead.
He said 409 people had been evacuated from the south-east village of Petite Savanne and that rescue efforts were continuing as several communities remained cut off due to damaged roads.
Skerrit, flanked by opposition leader Lennox Linton and several business leaders, said that he had been advised against imposing the state of emergency because of the negative impact it would have had on the country that is seeking assistance from the regional and international community in its rehabilitation efforts.
Please read the full story in today’s Midweek Nation, or in the eNATION edition.