No-confidence debate on tomorrow
THE OPPOSITION BARBADOS LABOUR PARTY (BLP) is requesting the no-confidence debate be broadcast live on CBC TV8.
In a media release, Leader of Opposition Business in the House of Assemble, MP Santia Bradshaw, said she was informed the debate would take place during tomorrow’s sitting of the House.
Bradshaw said she was told yesterday by John Boyce, Leader of Government Business in the House, about the date for the debate which was tabled by Opposition Leader Mia Mottley last Tuesday.
“As Leader of Opposition Business I will therefore be delivering correspondence to the Speaker of the House today requesting that the motion be carried via a live television broadcast on CBC, as has been the custom over the years,” Bradshaw said in the statement.
“The Barbados Labour Party has no control over when an election is called, but what we do have, is a responsibility to bring the facts to the people of this country so that they can have a say in determining their future. That is what people are accustomed to, but regrettably, that is not what has obtained under this Democratic Labour Party administration.” The no-confidence motion was filed on April 12, but was delayed because Speaker Michael Carrington expressed concern about some of the clauses.
When the motion was laid last week, Mottley spoke to the financial strategy and mishandling of the economy; numerous downgrades by the rating agencies; failure to pay income tax and value added tax returns; the removal of allowances and deductions on income tax; the increased cost of living; concessions granted to Sandals and the controversial Cahill waste-to-energy plant, among others.
It is the third no-confidence motion which has been filed by the BLP against the Freundel Stuart administration. (PR/SAT)