$1 million to move sand
IT’S GOING TO COST the Barbados Port Inc. about $1 million to remove the sand that’s built up at The Pierhead mouth.
This is the estimate given by Harbour Master Richard Alleyne, who explained that the 4 500 cubic metres of sand would take a few weeks to remove.
Speaking to the MIDWEEK NATION, Alleyne said that contract to dredge the area had been given to construction company Infra Inc., which should start dredging today.
“It is expected that the dredging itself will start around May 18, but they have actually started by building a containment pond where they’ll be sucking the sand from around there and putting it in,” Alleyne said. (AD)
Please read the full story in today’s Midweek Nation, or in the eNATION edition.