Being ‘pretty purrfect’ for Kadooment
MAKE-UP ARTIST Dionne Beresford of Pretty Purrfect has been a professionally trained make-up artist for the past two years. She loves making her clients feel “pretty purrfect”. Therefore she stays abreast of current trends. She recently did training with internationally acclaimed Color Blocking Queen Pinky and Colour Dujour Alaina Saulsberry.
Her must have make-up favourites are LA Girl concealers, Lorac Pallet Think Pinke pigments for eyeshadows, Mac or Kat Von D foundations and Urban Decay or Inglot bronzers.
Tomorrow is the big jump up day and with your costume purchased for “chippin’ down di road”, all that is left to seal the deal for the road march is some dazzlingly artistic carnival make-up.
Dionne offers some tips on how she achieves her Kadooment Day make-up for her clients.
1. Cleansing the face is an essential first step. This can easily be done by using make-up wipes to remove any excess oil or leftover make-up.
2. Move on to moisturizing and add a mattifying primer which will help the make-up last much longer in the heat.
3. The brows give the face shape so they need to be perfectly defined. In these looks we did a sculpted brow. To achieve the look you will need three simple tools – your spoolie, angle brush and blending brush. You will also need some key products for shaping – brow gel and concealer.
4. Always ensure that you prime the lids to give the pigments used a more vibrant appearance. It’s Kadooment so choose a fun colour to jazz up the eyes.
In the featured look we applied a gold shadow to highlight beneath the brow and created some drama by using an angle brush to apply gel liner for a wing effect, commonly called cat eyes.
5. Using a blending sponge, apply your skin tone foundation. Set with loose powder and move along to the highlighting and contouring of your face.
6. Bring some colour to cheeks with blush and add some face bronzer.
7. Choosing a complementary lip colour is also important so make sure to select a colour that works with your overall look. Want to look more intriguing? Add some glitter to the lips as in the featured look.
8. Stencils are a fun way to get a quick but dramatic look. We used a cheetah print stencil and added some waterproof setting spray for this spicy red and black look. (NS)