HEATHER-LYNN’S HABITAT: Little remains of Savings Bank
IT’S NOT even a memory for most Barbadians and its name is all but faded from the place it once called home.
But the remnants of the name, Barbados Savings Bank, are still visible for the eagle-eyed person stuck in traffic on Broad Street.
It is over a window on the East Wing of Parliament looking towards The Cenotaph.
The Barbados Savings Bank was established in 1852 to cater to the needs of plantation workers. It also became the main depository for so-called “Panama money”, the remittances sent back by Barbadian labourers who were working on the Panama Canal.
Eventually, it morphed into the Barbados National Bank which later became Republic Bank. (HLE)