Posted on

Darren Bravo eligible to play for West Indies again


PR/SAT

Darren Bravo eligible to play for West Indies again

Social Share
Share

ST JOHN’S – Cricket West Indies (CWI) today confirmed batsman Darren Bravo was available, with immediate effect, to play in all forms of cricket, following his apology to CWI and the President Dave Cameron

Cameron also apologised for remarks he made which led to the incident with Bravo. davecameron

A statement from Cameron in a media release said: “In early November 2016, I gave an interview to SportsMax TV during which I discussed player retainer contracts and the grades of contract that had been awarded to certain players.

“In the course of the interview I stated that Darren Bravo had previously been on an ‘A’ contract, which I have since been advised is not correct. I apologise for the misstatement, and wish to assure Mr Bravo that there was no insult or offense intended towards him. Darren is a senior cricketer who has been a valuable part of the WINDIES set up for a long time, and I would hope to see his game continue to progress and mature, at both regional and international level.”

It was the comments about Bravo’s retainer contract which prompted him to tweet the following on November 11, 2016: “You have been failing for 4 d last 4 years. Y don’t u resign and FYI I’ve neva been given an A contract. Big idiot @davec51”.

Bravo was subsequently sent home from the West Indies’ tour of Zimbabwe, his match contract cancelled and he was asked to delete the tweet. It remained on his account for several months while he sought legal advice.

It was removed this week and he issued the following statement in the same release.

“On the 11th day of November 2016, after viewing statements made about me by Mr Dave Cameron, President of the Cricket West Indies, on a television sports programme, I tweeted a response which referred to the President which was, in retrospect, inappropriate. 

“As I have always tried to uphold the best traditions of West Indies Cricket and its players, I now therefore wish to withdraw the comment made on my Twitter account and apologise to the President of CWI and to all WINDIES fans,” Bravo said.

“I look forward to continuing to play a positive role in both the West Indies’ senior men’s team and regional cricket, as well as helping to grow and develop cricket in the region at all levels.” (PR/SAT)

LAST NEWS