Posted on

Decline in school transfers


YVETTE BEST, [email protected]

Decline in school transfers

Social Share
Share

The number of people seeking transfers after the Common Entrance Exam has significantly declined in recent years.

That is according to senior education officer (Examination and Assessment), Glyne Price, who attributed the decline to the town hall meetings the Ministry of Education has been conducting in the last four years to sensitise parents about the exam.

“Before these we would have up to 1 100 requests for transfers. Since we started these, with the assistance of the minister who said ‘no transfers’ publicly, we have reduced it. Last year you had maybe just 200 requests. So it has reduced significantly. Hopefully it means that the parents are understanding more,” Price said.

He was speaking to the large gathering of parents who turned up at The St Michael School on Thursday for the final workshop for the May 8 exam.

Price went through the three sections of the exam, and answered some of the frequently asked questions. The bulk of the more than two-hour meeting was spent on the choice-of-school form.

In addition to impressing upon parents the need to put their preferred choice in the first slot, so that their child stood a better chance of being assigned to that particular school when the computer did the assignments, Price spoke about the need to have matching addresses on record at the school and on the choice of school form. Disparities can occur when the child moves between the homes of parents.

He said the ministry is aware that parents use addresses to get the best option in the three zones, but that it can sometimes backfire. (YB)

Read the full story in today’s Saturday Sun, or in the eNATION edition.

LAST NEWS