Salvation Army marching on in Dominica
The Salvation Army will be embarking on a number of projects as part of its local and regional social outreach.
Chairman of the army’s advisory board, Paul Bernstein, said the charity made over $635 000 in its 2017/2018 fundraising Christmas letter and kettle appeal, short of the $750 000 target.
He was speaking at a press conference on Thursday to announce major developments the charity plans to embark on, as well as a progress report on their work in hurricane ravaged Dominica.
The chairman said the army received $400 000 from the global Coca-Cola company to help in a rehabilitation project. So far, it has repaired some Dominican houses, supplied hygiene kits, water and farming supplies. Villagers will also be supplied with food for the next six months.
The organisation is in the process of packing another 40-foot container with school supplies.
Bernstein said the Salvation Army and the Maria Holder Trust were also in the process of renovating their Speightstown office. That building, a $658 000 project, will have a feeding and multi-purpose centre.
The orginisation would also be embarking on a $1.5 million facility for battered women as well as a senior citizens home in St Philip, the first of its kind.
Bernstein thanked the public for their contributions and Scotia Bank for its partnership in the fundraising programmes.
There will be a number of free concerts to show gratitude to Barbadians for their support. (SB)