Sinckler threatened with lawsuit by billionaire Benedict
Minister Chris Sinckler has said he is being threatened with a lawsuit by Nigerian billionaire Benedict Peters and the letter from Peters’ lawyer states that he was in a Barbados meeting with Barbados Labour Party’s leader Mia Mottley.
Peters’ name has been looming over the campaign since Last Sunday when Sinckler first revealed to a crowd at the Democratic Labour Party campaign launch that the Nigerian visited Barbados and met with the then Leader of the Barbados Labour Party. He questioned what the meeting was about. However, last night the first tangible evidence of Peters’ presence on the island came to light after Sinckler said he had received correspondence from Queen’s Counsel Leslie Haynes accusing him of causing his client Peters distress by his utterances on Sunday.
In dramatic fashion Sinckler after the revelation ripped up a copy of the letter which he said he received earlier today.
In it Haynes said that his client had been accused of funnelling money into this election, seeking to influence the election in the same way the Russians did with the United States elections and linking him to the Nigerian kidnappers, Boko Haram.
Haynes called the Sinckler’s references as “baseless” and “false” and said they had caused Peters great hurt and distress.
In that letter, Haynes also said that Peters instructed him that he met with Miss Mottley while on family vacation in Barbados and they discussed social and global affairs and investment opportunities in Barbados and the wider Caribbean.
Last night Sinckler questioned if that was the case why Peters didn’t meet with the Minister of International Business, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Prime Minister or even he.
Sinckler was also critical of Mottley for not revealing the meeting and what was discussed. (AC)