Posted on

Best: Time for selectors to go


HAYDN GILL, [email protected]

Best: Time for selectors to go

Social Share
Share

TINO BEST is calling for the heads of the Barbados cricket selectors.

Angered by some of the choices, or more specifically, the non-selection of others during last week’s draft for the 2018-19 Professional Cricket League, the outspoken former Barbados and West Indies fast bowler feels the time has come for Hendy Wallace, Sherlon Greaves and Hendy Broomes to make way.

Arguing that that the selectors lacked vision, Best proposed former Barbados captain Ryan Hinds as his choice as chairman of selectors and another ex-West Indies player Corey Collymore as head coach.

While expressing his concern as a fan and commentator, Best was especially vocal about the omission of all-rounder Roshon Primus and the selectors’ preference of two wicket-keepers, Mario Rampersaud and Tevyn Walcott among their five draft picks for Barbados Pride for the next regional season.

Roshon Primus is 22 years old. He bowls quickly. He bowls a heavy ball. He has the ability to score 60. Last year he beat Barbados single-handedly. The opportunity comes up to pick this young man. It is a crying shame. I honestly believe that the selectors are very emotional,” Best told MIDWEEK SPORT.

“I believe the BCA should hold an emergency meeting and fire all of that panel. They are not moving off of talent and match winners. They are moving off of emotion. Last season, we lost a game to Leeward Islands in two days. That is the most embarrassing thing ever in Barbados’ cricket. I am a former player. I was hurt and devastated that the Leewards came to Barbados and we were bounced out by Jeremiah Louis and Gavin Tongue.”

During last Wednesday’s draft in Antigua, Primus, a beefy all-rounder, was left out in the cold after two solid seasons for Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in which he averaged 23.50 with the bat and took 33 wickets at 25.87 apiece. His most impressive effort was a match-winning performance against Barbados Pride in 2017 when he scored two half-centuries and took nine wickets in a day/night match at Kensington Oval.

While Best welcomed the selections of the young fast bowling trio of Keon Harding, Dominic Drakes and Chemar Holder, he also argued a case for the inclusions of batsmen Aaron Jones, Rashidi Boucher, Craig St Hill and off-spinner Chaim Holder.

Citing his own non-selection as an example, Barbados said the selcetors’ policy appeared to be one to look to players they viewed as West Indies hopefuls.

“You had a situation where a year and a half, two years ago, you get rid of me and Fidel Edwards because you basically said West Indies don’t want us. you don’t want us,” he said.

“We didn’t have a problem with that. When you have guys in the squad that CPL [Caribbean Premier League] doesn’t look at, West Indies don’t look at, why are they still playing? Why not bring young Primus in to replace some
of those guys.”

Since the introduction of the PCL, Barbados Pride have never won the title as Guyana Jaguars swept to the championship for four successive seasons.

In the circumstances, Best is calling for new blood, both on the selection panel and coaching staff.

“The panel should be removed after the season Barbados had. I honestly believe Ryan Hinds should be chairman of selectors and Corey Collymore the head coach. You have two young men who know the young players and who are winners in their own right,” he said.

“We are not going in the right direction. We picked two wicket-keepers in a draft and left out Roshon Primus. You can’t tell me that those people deserve to be running Barbados’ cricket.  Collymore is a top professional, he knows how to coach people.” (HG)

 

LAST NEWS