Posted on

Blackout stalls Warriors’ fight

JUSTIN MARVILLE, [email protected]

Blackout stalls Warriors’ fight

Social Share

They literally killed the lights on Warriors’ title challenge.

Hilton Barbados Warriors were oh so close to forcing a decisive Game 5 until the most untimely of power outages brought an abrupt end to Thursday’s Co-operators General Insurance Premier League finals against Lumber Company Lakers.

Holding a late 75-68 lead on the champs, Warriors were left in shock after the Barbados Community College gym suddenly fell into complete darkness with 1:42 still remaining on the clock.

As a result the two teams are now set to return to the same venue tomorrow night for the conclusion of a rather up-and-down Game 4 that Warriors led by as many as ten points.

Chiamaka Browne was actually looking to reduce that deficit just moments earlier when he drew a foul on Tremaine Shaw.

But the Lakers point guard never got a chance to attempt any of the two free throws, as the lights went out just as he was settling down at the charity stripe.

It was the sudden finish to Thursday’s must-win game for a Warriors side staring down the barrel of a 2-1 series hole.

And Jamar “Spanner” Headley played like a desperate man fighting for his finals life, rebounding from a previously poor series to score six quick points, including a huge opening dunk.

However, it was Warriors’ outside game that finally got going, as the Dayrells Road men hit four big treys in the first period after missing their 21 three-pointers of the series.

Lakers then quickly fell behind 29-19 amidst Keefe Birkett’s continued struggles until Ricardo “Howard” Jemmott engineered a 13-4 rally (37-34) off the bench on a series of put-backs in the paint.

The two sides went back and forth for the rest of the first half before Warriors reopened an eight-point cushion (55-47) on drives from Headley and Nicholai Williams that sandwiched a Pile slam dunk.

Browne’s subsequent foul trouble didn’t help matters any as Lakers were forced to go all but a couple seconds of the third quarter without their overseas-based floor general.

Shaquan Newton subsequently pushed that advantage to double digits, finishing a tough up-and-under layup before scoring on a step-back jumper and put-back (75-65) midway through the fourth.

But Bridgeman tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck, putting his head down to make his way to the line for three straight free throws.

Browne did likewise, too, bullying his way into the paint for two free throws right before the lights went out in his face.

The final 1:42 is slated for 8 p.m. Sunday night ahead of Monday’s possible Game 5 at the Wildey Gymnasium. (JM)