Posted on

Health fears


MARIA BRADSHAW, [email protected]

Health fears

Social Share

The discovery of a poisonous gas at The Lester Vaughan School has sparked fears of a repeat of what happened at the now defunct Louis Lynch Secondary School.

An air quality test revealed nitrogen dioxide and methane gas were from drainage wells, while mould, fibreglass, dust, algae and mosquito infestations were also found in certain areas of the Cane Garden, St Thomas school.

Nitrogen dioxide, a poisonous gas, can affect breathing and lead to respiratory problems such as wheezing, coughing, colds, flu, bronchitis and lung infection.

While the Ministry of Education finally closed the school last week for a few days to facilitate an industrial cleaning, teachers who have been falling ill persistently over the years are fearful that this situation could end up like Louis Lynch, which was eventually closed for environmental reasons after several years of complaints from teachers. (MB)

Subscribe now to our eNATION edition.

For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.

LAST NEWS