Posted on

Visitor fined $10 000 for credit card fraud

RACHELLE AGARD, [email protected]

Visitor fined $10 000 for credit card fraud

Social Share

A Nigerian visitor, had to pay a hefty fine today before he could return to England, where he currently resides.

David Alli-Oke, of 60 Plaistow Lane, BR1 3JE, London, England, admitted attempting to dishonestly obtain a watch valued $19 665 from Nimsay Trading Company Limited, with intent to permanently deprive Nimsay Trading by deception by falsely representing that NatWest visa debit bearing the name of RE Willis was a good and valid form of payment and that he was authorised to use it.

He further admitted to no being at his place of abode, and having various debit and credit cards for use in the course of criminal deception. Both offences occurred on October 3.

The 31-year-old promoter, who was represented by Queen’s Counsel Michael Lashley and Jamilia Lorde, had previously been remanded to HMP Dodds when he appeared before Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant in the District “A” Magistrates’ Court on October 6, after prosecutor Station Sergeant Cameron Gibbons objected to bail.

However, when he reappeared before the magistrate today, a settlement was reached.

Prosecutor Sergeant Edwin Pinder told the court the Nigerian went to The Royal Shop, Broad Street, The City, and attempted to purchase a Rolex watch. He produced a credit card and when asked for picture identification said it was at the hotel. The cashier checked and when she informed Alli-Oke it was a false claim, he hastily left the store.

He later returned and again attempted to purchase the same watch. He produced another credit card bearing the name RE Willis and produced identification. As he was filling out the warranty, the cashier’s suspicions were aroused and she alerted a passing officer.

Alli-Oke was taken to the Criminal Investigation Department, and when searched, eight credit cards bearing different names were found.

Lashley, in his submissions, pointed out his client had not wasted the court’s time and saved valuable judicial time.

“While I am not negating the seriousness of the crime, he is the sole bread winner and has a five-year-old son . . . . In addition, given the fact he has pleaded guilty I am asking that he be given a fine . . . at a quantum that reflects the severity of the time,” he said, adding Alli-Oke had expressed remorse.

Magistrate Cuffy-Sargeant told Lashely the fine would be “very steep”, given the legislation.

Alli-Oke was fined $10 000 forthwith, which was paid, before he was escorted to the airport by waiting Immigration officers. (RA)