Smith to CPL: Show us the money
Marquee batsman Dwayne Smith says he finds untenable the deafening silence from Caribbean Premier League officials over outstanding payments to Barbados Tridents players for the 2018 season.
The 35-year-old raised the issue of non-payment of monies last December but said last week there was still no word from the league or Tridents franchise on when the situation would be rectified.
“It is very frustrating because we don’t go out there just to play cricket. It’s our job and when we do our job we expect to be paid,” Smith said.
“It’s something we really need to look at. No one is saying anything, you don’t know what’s going on and all we’re hearing is everybody asking about when is the draft.”
There has been no word on the date of the draft for the 2019 tournament, even though league officials announced in January it would take place between August 21 and September 27.
And there has also been rampant speculation over the future of the Tridents franchise, especially in light of the recent legal troubles of owner Dr Vijay Mallya of India.
Smith, a key member of the Tridents unit, said he was no longer comfortable playing for the franchise while it maintained the same ownership.
“We need to know something about our money as well. I for one don’t know if I’ll be playing again under this same ownership,” he said. (CMC)