B’s fire extinguished
A five-member crew from the Barbados Fire Service is monitoring the site of yesterday’s fire at B’s Recycling in Cane Garden, St Thomas.
The crew, from the nearby Arch Hall Station, was overseeing the final stages of the operation. A fire broke out yesterday evening and fire officers contained it to one cell.
It was brought under control around 9:20 p.m. yesterday, but was still smouldering today. More top soil was being applied to the site to ensure there was no flare-up.
Meanwhile, chief fire officer Errol Maynard said the amount of garbage at these recycling centres was a cause for national concern and the fire service would be deploying personnel to discuss emergency plans.
Managing director of B’s Recycling, Paul Bynoe, apologised to the nearby residents, who have suffered the effects of a fire at the facility for the second time in six years. He hoped it would be the last such occurrence.
The fire broke out after 4 p.m. yesterday and the black plume from burning plastics could be spotted for miles in every direction.
The Ministry of Health advised residents living downwind to take precautions and avoid inhaling the smoke. (SAT)