Teachers were falling sick. Parents were sick of the situation. And even the minister responsible for the environment was bemoaning the conditions at Belmont Primary School yesterday.
Staff and parents gave the My Lord’s Hill, St Michael school a failing grade as classes had to be suspended because two teachers fell ill after allegedly inhaling paint fumes.
Belmont Primary was one of 20 public schools which were not ready for the start of the school term last week Monday due to incomplete maintenance work.
Over the weekend, teachers learnt that the summer repairs programme had not been completed and as a result, many of the classrooms were still in disarray up until Sunday.
Some also became upset and said they felt insulted on learning they would be required to use chemical toilets after a plan to have adequate bathroom facilities in time for the start of school fell short. (TG)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.