Posted on

Elderly woman dies in house fire

KOBIE BROOMES, [email protected]

Elderly woman dies in house fire

Social Share

An 81-year-old St George woman died in a house fire early this morning.

Lawmen said Inez Mabel Fields of Newbury, St George, was the lone occupant of the two-bedroom wooden house which was engulfed by fire around 2:20 a.m.

Her body was discovered in the bedroom doorway after the fire was extinguished and was later identified by her son.

Police said that while the house had electricity, Fields was reportedly in the habit of using a kerosene oil lamp.

Police Public Relations Officer Inspector (ag) Rodney Inniss said that officers from the Boarded Hall Police Station and two fire tenders; one from Bridgetown and the other from Four Roads, St John, with eight firefighters under the command of Divisional Officer Vaughn, responded to the report.

Investigations are continuing. (PR/KB)