Grass fire at landfill
A spark ignited a section of grass in the same area of the Mangrove Landfill where a crew from the Sanitation Service Authority (SSA) had been battling an earlier blaze.
Fire broke out in the tyre section of the St Thomas dumping facility on Monday morning, and since then, SSA staff led by Leona Deane and Bruce Cox had worked to contain about 70 per cent of it.
However, billowing smoke was seen at the facility just before 3 p.m.
Public relations officer Carl “Alff” Padmore said it was a small grass fire and some tyres were burning, but the Barbados Fire Service was on site.
He said the smoke posed no danger to the nearby residents in Arch Hall, and thanked them for their patience during this “trying time”.
Padmore told residents to continue to take whatever precautions they needed to at this time. (PR/SAT)