Posted on

Stricter controls in Italy


CMC

Stricter  controls in Italy

Social Share
Share

ROME – The death toll from an outbreak of coronavirus in Italy has risen by 651 to 5 476, officials said on Sunday, an increase of 13.5 per cent but down on Saturday’s figure when some 793 people died.

The total number of cases in Italy rose to 59 138 from a previous 53 578, an increase of 10.4 per cent, the Civil Protection Agency said — the lowest rise in percentage terms since the contagion came to light on February 21.

Of those originally infected nationwide, 7 024 had fully recovered on Sunday compared to 6 072 the day before. There were 3 009 people in intensive care against a previous 2 857.

The hardest-hit northern region of Lombardy remained in a critical situation, with 3 456 deaths and 27 206 cases against a previously given 3 095 and 25 515 respectively.

Under the new rules announced late on Saturday, sport and physical activity outside, even individually, is banned. Using vending machines is forbidden.

Businesses have been asked to close all operations excluding “essential” supply chains. Work on building sites will be stopped apart from those working on hospitals, roads and railways.

All open-air weekly markets have been suspended.

(Reuters)

 

 

LAST NEWS