Posted on

Infection traced


SAT

Infection traced

Social Share
Share

The Ministry of Health and Wellness was able to trace the source of the infection for the second man who died of COVID-19 in Barbados on Monday.

Head of Infectious Diseases at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Dr Corey Forde, said the 74-year-old man had been in contact with one of the earliest patients who had come in from the United States.

He said that woman was one of the sickest they had seen, but she was now walking round at the Blackman and Gollop facility.

Forde, who was speaking on the CBC Evening News last night, reiterated the message of COVID czar Richard Carter to look after the elderly as they were especially vulnerable to the illness, given worldwide trends.

He urged Barbadians to also desist from the cultural practice of taking a child “with a snotty nose” at the grandparent if the parents have to go to work.

The doctor also urged people to seek early treatment, because as symptoms advanced, patients ran the risk of developing pneumonia and damage to the lungs, which made it harder to treat.

Overall, 60 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Barbados. Two died – the first being an 81-year-old male – and six have recovered. Forde said the 52 remained in isolation at the facilities in varying states of health, some quite serious.

They range in age from seven years old to 95.

To date, the Ministry has conducted 557 tests since February 11. (SAT)

Download the Telegram app from the App Store or Play Store and sign up for new alerts at this link.

Join Nation News on Telegram

nationnews-on-telegram

LAST NEWS