Wood wants probe
Former Minister of Agriculture Anthony Wood is calling on the Mia Amor Mottley administration to launch an investigation into the awarding of certain contracts and to relieve Minister of Agriculture Indar Weir of his portfolio, to give the party a fighting chance in the next general election.
In a tell-all meeting yesterday titled Delivering On A Promise: The Story Behind The Disclaimer Notice, held at Clara’s Hide-a-way, Nursery No. 2, Four Roads, St Philip, which lasted three hours and five minutes, Wood said that as deputy campaign manager of the last general Election, which saw the Barbados Labour Party winning all 30 seats, he campaigned heavily against corruption. He also suggested there was a measure of corruption within parts of Government and he could not be associated with such.
On May 24, he posted a newspaper notice disassociating himself from Weir. Since then, Weir, instead of addressing the disclaimer, said his energy was focused on assisting hundreds of residents in his St Philip South constituency. Wood also handed in his resignation as chairman of the Barbados Agricultural Development and Marketing Corporation (BADMC), an agency which falls under Weir’s ministry.
Among those in attendance were Opposition Leader Bishop Joseph Atherley, his People’s Party for Democracy and Development spokesperson on health Paul Gibson, former Democratic Labour Party Minister of Social Transformation Steve Blackett, and former deputy permanent secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture Lennox Chandler. (RA)
Below: Opposition Leader Bishop Joseph Atherley (second right) was among those who turned out for yesterday’s meeting. He, like Wood, served as a minister in the Owen Arthur administration but years later would resign from the Barbados Labour Party.
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.
Join Nation News on WhatsApp