Parents cancel protest action
A group of concerned parents from Frederick Smith Secondary School, who were set to stage a protest last week over the transfer of former principal Major Michael Boyce, have decided to take no further action.
Spokesperson for the group, Dr Anthony Cummins, told the Sunday Sun the group had decided to work with new principal Steven Jackman, who was transferred from Daryll Jordan Secondary School and took up the new post from Monday when school reopened.
Boyce has since been transferred to Deighton Griffith Secondary School.
“We have conducted a number of discussions [Thursday] and [yesterday] and concluded that although we have the power to demand the response from the Ministry of Education, should we increase the pressure as planned, and we did have all engines ready in position, that the travesty of dragging the good name of [Frederick Smith Secondary] through the media at this time will result in further disruption of classes, considering that we were void of elbow room to make this as effective as we would have desired,” he said, adding that more protest action could have led to discomfort for some directly and indirectly involved. (RA)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.
For the latest stories and breaking news updates download the Nationnews apps for iOS and Android.