Posted on

Windies cricketers breach COVID-19 protocols in New Zealand

Windies cricketers breach COVID-19 protocols in New Zealand

Social Share
Share

Cricket West Indies (CWI) is conducting an internal investigation after the New Zealand Ministry of Health announced on Wednesday morning that some players breached the COVID-19 protocols.

The team is being housed at a Managed Isolation Facility in Christchurch.

As a result, training privileges were revoked and the players won’t be released from the facility until Friday, pending the final round of COVID-19 testing.

The breaches were internal and did not pose a threat to members of the public.

Cricket West Indies said it was in full support of the Ministry of Health.

“From the information we have received so far, we have been told that the incidents in question included some players compromising the bubble integrity by mixing between two separate West Indies bubbles into which the touring party had been split, by sharing food and socialising in hallways.  There is no evidence, or suggestion, that any members of the touring party left the facility, or that any unauthorised persons accessed it,” a statement said.

“Ahead of the tour to New Zealand, the West Indies touring party all returned two negative COVID-19 tests before leaving the Caribbean, and underwent two further tests since they have been in New Zealand. All results were negative.

“The players underwent their final scheduled tests this morning and, results permitting, are scheduled to leave the Managed Isolation Facility on Friday to travel to Queenstown ahead of two warm-up matches against New Zealand “A”.”

Match Schedule:

November 27: 1st T20I at Eden Park, Auckland

November 29:  2nd T20I at Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui

November 30: 3rd T20I at Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui

December 3-7: 1st Test at Seddon Park, Hamilton

December 11-15: 2nd Test at Basin Reserve, Wellington