Posted on

Sandals still delisted as quarantine hotel


[email protected]

Sandals still delisted as quarantine hotel
Sandals Barbados. (Internet Image.)

Social Share

Sandals Barbados remains delisted as a government-approved COVID-19 quarantine hotel, but management is working with public health officials to get back on track.

That is the word from chairman of the Cabinet COVID-19 sub-committee, Senator Jerome Walcott, who was responding to a question from the general public, an added component to the latest COVID management update which was streamed live from Ilaro Court on Monday night.

Walcott said he and officials from the COVID Monitoring Unit met with management from Sandals last Saturday and the latter came with a plan “recognising that there had been some breaches”, and looked at how they could improve measures.

He said while “substantial improvements” were made, they would continue working with the all-inclusive resort “so that they meet again the requirements of the Ministry of Health and Wellness”.

Among the changes will be separating those who are in quarantine from those who are not.

READ: Sandals delisted as quarantine facility

On December 29, 2020, acting chief medical officer, Dr Kenneth George, announced Sandals was being delisted effective January 5, 2021.

“This action was taken after several verified complaints of breaches of the COVID-19 protocols taking place at the resort with respect to visitors in quarantine,” he said at the time.

Sandals later denied there were breaches at their facility.

READ: Sandals – No COVID breaches in Barbados

Members of the general public called in via VOB and CBC to voice questions to the officials, including Prime Minister Mia Mottley, Attorney General Dale Marshall and Minister of Home Affairs Wilfred Abrahams. That segment was moderated by veteran journalist David Ellis of Starcom Network. (SAT)