Bostic: Death possibly related to COVID-19
Minister of Health Jeffrey Bostic announced today that health officials are investigating the death of an 84-year-old Barbadian man as possibly related to coronavirus (COVID)-19.
He also said there is a young female “non Barbadian” in critical condition at Harrison Point.
Bostic, whose statement was recorded, said the man reported to the Accident and Emergency Department of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital last night (January 16) after feeling ill.
He passed away at QEH.
Bostic said the man had a long history of lung disease and chronic non-communicable diseases.
The minister said the man passed away while his case was being fully evaluated by medical staff. QEH staff took blood samples which showed the victim was COVID-19 positive.
“However, I wish to caution the public that at this stage, we can only say that the death may be COVID related as the precise cause of death, whether from COVID or complications from his other illness cannot be ascertained until the completion of a post mortem,” he said.
Bostic said every precaution was being taken and safety protocols were being followed.
Contact tracing has started for medical personnel who handled the case and family members of the deceased. The minister said evidence indicated that the source of the case will be easily traced.
“Having recorded no deaths from COVID-19 in Barbados in recent months, this is indeed sad news,” he said.
Bostic repeated appeals to the public to sanitise, wear masks correctly and physical distance.
COVID-19 figures from the Ministry of Health up to January 15 indicated that there had been 1 095 confirmed cases of the virus and seven deaths. (KG)